Happy New Year!
This week was super slow to be honest. Elder Wasden has been feeling sick for the past couple of weeks, so Tuesday night we called the mission nurse and she had us go to the instacare Wednesday morning to get him checked out. She prescribed him some medicine and told him not to ride his bike in the cold for the next two or three days, so we had to go back to our apartment early for that Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, then the whole mission had to go in early on Sunday since it was New Years Eve. So, between all that and the fact that a lot of people were out of town for the holidays we didn't have much success this week. We had one appointment get rescheduled for next week because our investigators went to a Christmas party instead and we knocked on a lot of doors and had a lot of people tell us they didn't want to talk to us. There were a few funny things that happened throughout the week though, so I'll write about those. The first one happened while we were knocking doors in a wealthier part of our area. We were walking away from two or three houses in a row where nobody answered the door when we saw two door to door salespeople holding clipboards and wearing red shirts. They went right past us and started knocking on the doors we had just barely knocked on. I thought about telling them there was no one home, but I decided to wait and watch instead, and all three of the people that didn't answer for us opened the door for the two ladies selling things! I wish I knew what they were doing that we weren't doing cuz we could totally add it to our approach and get some more people talking to us. It was probably the clipboards, clipboards always look super professional. 😉
In other news, I forgot how to ride a bicycle this week. About two weeks ago one of the missionaries in the other bike areas crashed pretty bad and they've been in a car since then. I jokingly told my companion one of us should wreck our bike so we could get a car. We thought I was joking, then I ran into things not once, not twice, but three times in the past five days. The first time we were riding down this sidewalk where there was a wall on one side and telephone poles on the other side. Between the two there was enough room for my bike to pass through with about an inch or two on either side. I made it past three or four of the poles just fine, and I don't know if I was getting too confident or if I'm just not good at riding my bike, but my left handlbar clipped the telephone pole and turned me so that I ran into the wall on my right. I cut my thumb a little, but other than that I was fine. The second one I was riding on the bike trail and looking at a funny looking duck in the water to my right. When I looked back there was a pole right in front of me, so I swerved and clipped my ankle on it and pulled off to the side of the road. I blame you for that one dad. 😉 The third time was the next day, and I was riding a lot slower than I had been because it hurt to pedal too hard with my ankle. There was a family walking in front of us, so we dropped off the sidewalk and onto the road. After we passed the people I went to get back on the sidewalk, but I didn't have enough momentum since I wasn't pedaling very hard, so my back tire just caught on the curb and before I knew it I was laying on the ground. That one didn't even hurt that much, I just skinned my knee a little. It was mostly just embarrassing because I crashed right in front of the family I was trying to go around. Despite all of those efforts my bike's doing okay and I'm doing okay though, so I'll have to try a little harder if I want to get us a car. 😉
I took a video of Elder Wasden and I celebrating New Years, but my tablet says it's too big to send. Basically we twisted up some water bottles and launched the lids off at 10 pm because it was midnight somewhere. We also made an oreo pie, so here's the pie eating picture Britney asked for a month and a half ago.
That's all for this week. Love you all!
-Elder Clark
No comments:
Post a Comment